+ WHAT IS COMMUNITY SHARED SOLAR
Community shared solar enables anyone to tap into a solar power project in their neighborhood. You can subscribe to a portion of a solar farm neaby, and you get the benefits of green power without having to worry about whether your rooftop gets enough sunshine or needing to cover the cost of installing the panels. All you see are savings on your utility bill.
+ WHY DOES EVERYONE NEED ACCESS TO SOLAR POWER?
For three reasons. First, from an environmental standpoint, the United States will need to deploy extraordinary amounts of new solar capacity in order to decarbonize its economy.
Second, if only a few consumers have access to solar power, those who do not are left to bear the costs of rising energy prices. This is especially troublesome for a third and related reason.
That is, the people who are currently locked out of the solar market are those that need relief the most. These households spend a disproportionately large share of their income on energy expenditures and are therefore most affected by increases in electricity costs.
+ WHAT DOES SOLSTICE DO?
We are dedicated to helping every single household in America go solar. Here's how:
- First, Solstice Initiative works with developers to build community solar arrays in which everyone can easily participate.
- Second, we partner with community organizations like churches, workplaces, and schools to offer solar power to their constituents. Any home can sign up for community-shared solar —no rooftop or upfront payment required. When they do, we make a donation to the community organization that helped them enroll.
- Third, we ensure that homes that sign up start seeing a credit on their utility bill every month for the clean energy their solar portion generates.
+ HOW DOES SOLSTICE MAKE MONEY?
As a social enterprise, a large portion of our outreach efforts are funded by grants from various institutions. In addition, we are compensated by the developers for raising awareness about their products.
+ WHY ARE SO MANY HOUSEHOLDS UNABLE TO ACCESS SOLAR POWER?
About 80% of American households are effectively locked out of the market for rooftop solar because they rent their homes, they have a shady roof or one that can't support the weight of a solar array, or they may have poor or insufficient credit.
Our mission is to bring solar to these 90 million households through community-shared solar.
When we do so, everybody wins. Those who cannot currently access solar power are brought into the market, more solar is deployed, and everyone saves on their electricity bills.
+ HOW MUCH DOES COMMUNITY SOLAR COST?
There is no cost to join or installation needed and participants immediately save 10% on their electricity bill. For this reason, community solar is the most affordable
+ HOW MUCH CAN I SAVE BY GOING SOLAR?
With community solar, you generate credits on your monthly utility bill for any power that your panels produce. That means you're saving money from day one. Favorable government policies mean that participants save 10% on electricity, or roughly $100-$300 each year.
+ IS COMMUNITY SOLAR COMPLICATED?
The beauty of this approach is that it's not. Under the Solstice approach, households no longer need to research if solar is right for them, have installers come to their home, or worry about selling their house or moving from the area. Going solar can, for the first time, become as easy as depositing money at the bank.
+ WHAT IF I MOVE?
- If you are moving within the same utility area, you can stay in the program. Your savings will transfer to your new home with your utility account. You just have to provide with some head notice so that the utility has ample time to switch the allocation to your new home.
- If you are moving outside of the utility area, you would need to cancel the agreement
+ CAN I PARTICIPATE IF I HAVE A THIRD-PARTY PROVIDER?
- Absolutely! We are not a third party energy supplier so you can certainly participate and your savings will be calculated based on your energy suppliers rate.
- Also, feel free to cancel or change your supplier at any time if you desire, as this has no effect on your participation in the solar garden.
+ HOW ARE PANELS RESERVED FOR ME?
Your household would be assigned a certain number of panels in the garden that makes sense for your energy needs. This is based on an analysis of your average yearly energy usage from your past electric bills. The solar developer of the solar garden will accurately assign you the correct number of panels for your energy needs.
+ HOW DOES BILLING WORK?
Once you are reserved a certain number of panels in the solar garden, you will begin to see the energy produced by “your” panels as a credit on your utility bill. Then, our partner solar developer (who installs and maintains the solar garden) will bill you separately 90% of what you would have paid to your utility.